HomeNewsSPORTSBrighton Fight Back To Secure 2-2 Draw Against Olympic Marseille

Brighton Fight Back To Secure 2-2 Draw Against Olympic Marseille

Brighton and Hove Albion came back from two goals down to earn a point against French side Olympic Marseille at the Stade Velodrome, in the second group stage fixture of the UEFA Europa League.

Roberto De Zerbi’s side went into the game with the weight of the 3-2 loss to Greek side AEK Athens in the opening game of the Europa League and a recent 6-1 thrashing from Aston Villa in the English Premier League last weekend. The visitors were under the obligation to make a statement.

However, it was a slow start to the English visitors struggled to come to the party and couldn’t find the rhythm to their game in the first half. This gave Marseille the edge to continue piling up the pressure in search of the opener.

Marseille finally took the lead in the 19th minute when Kaoru Mitoma slipped as he sought to close the ball down, allowing France international Jonathan Clauss to move down the right flank and send in a low cross which the former Newcastle defender Mbemba slotted into the net.

Roberto De Zerbi’s side had no time to adjust before conceding the second goal a minute later. Lewis Dunk committed an error which gave Harit the chance to whip in a cross which was met by a header from Veretout and past the Brighton goalkeeper Steele. Thus, giving Brighton a higher mountain to climb in the game.

Against the run of play, Lamptey carried the ball almost to the byline and tucked it back for Mitoma, who looked up to see Gross arriving in the box and set him up to make it 2-1 to the visitors, giving them a lifeline in the game.

The goal had a transformative effect and suddenly Brighton found their rhythm with much improved direct passing accuracy and more possession of the ball.

Brighton found the much deserved equalizer after Clauss upended Lamptey in the box which resulted in a penalty to Brighton. The penalty was calmly converted by Joao Pedro in the 88th minute to keep Brighton’s hope for European glory alive.

Brighton Manager, Roberto De Zerbi expressed his delight in his team’s fighting spirit in the game. “I’m really proud of the performance today, of the players. After the defeat 6-1 at Villa Park and the second goal to close the first half at 2-0, this reaction is incredible. I am very happy.”

However, Brighton remain bottom of Group B with one point in two games. The result also means that Brighton have now conceded five goals in their first two major European matches after their 3-2 loss to AEK Athens in the opening match, the most by an English side in their first two games since Aston Villa in October 1975.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular

Recent Comments