HomeNewsSPORTSNewcastle Suffers First Champions League Setback Of The Season

Newcastle Suffers First Champions League Setback Of The Season

English side Newcastle United have tasted their first Champions League defeat of the season after falling to a one-nil loss to German side Borussia Dortmund at Saint James’ Park last night.

After cruising to a comfortable 4-1 victory over French Champions, Paris Saint Germaine (PSG) in the second match of the group stages, Newcastle was given a reality check by Dortmund. Felix Nmecha’s goal was enough to throw the contest wide open again in Group F.

The game produced an end-to-end attack in the early stages. Newcastle goalkeeper Nick Pope saved Donyell Malen’s shot with his legs just two minutes into the game. Minutes later at the other end, Dortmund’s goalkeeper Kobel denied Gordon with a brilliant save.

Dortmund was close to opening the scoring in the 10th minute of the game but Pope pulled off a spectacular double save to stop Malen’s effort and then blocked the close-range rebound by Nickas Fullkrug to keep the game level.

Newcastle responded immediately with a dangerous counterattack through Isak who played in Gordon but he was denied once again by Kobel. Isak suffered an injury just moments after the counterattack and couldn’t continue the game.

The visitors took the lead just at the stroke of halftime as Nico Schlotterbeck dispossessed Gordon and laid a quick pass to Marco Reus who found Nmecha unmarked in the box. The former Manchester City player finished calmly and gave his side the lead at halftime.

Three minutes shy of the hour mark, Newcastle had a great chance to equalize as Gordon sent a pass to Wilson in the box. However, he was denied by Kobel who produced a brilliant save to stop it from going in.

Sandro Tonali came on later in the second half amidst rumors that he could be facing a long-term ban from active football for alleged involvement in illegal betting. Jacob Murphy who also came in as a substitute was forced to leave the pitch with a shoulder injury suffered in just over three minutes of his cameo.

The home side kept pushing for the equalizer and came close twice towards the end of the game. Wilson planted a header from a free kick in the 87th minute but was denied by the woodwork and Gordon’s deflected shot also hit the bar in the final seconds of stoppage time. Newcastle eventually fell to a narrow defeat at home.

Despite starting the night on top of Group F, Eddie Howe’s side has now dropped to third place in the group below PSG and Dortmund and may now face tough away games against PSG and Dortmund.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular

Recent Comments